Episode 3: Striving for a better life with Nimaya Lodu
Immigrating to a new country comes with many challenges. Often education attained in your home country is not recognized in Canada. That's one of the issues encountered by Nimaya Lodu, a former HR Administrator who came to Canada from South Sudan in 2011.
We talk about...
- living in constant danger in South Sudan
- getting educational credentials assessed in Canada and realizing that his degree would not be recognized here
- taking survival jobs as a means to an end but continuing to hold a vision for a better future
- upgrading at NorQuest College and signing up for a new career as a Health Care Aide
- working full-time and going to school full-time for six long months! Doing assignments on breaks and readings at midnight. Even Nimaya doesn’t know how he managed to do it!
- how the Health Care Aide certificate is one step towards the bigger goal of becoming a nurse
- comparing getting an education in South Sudan vs in Canada
- embracing the challenge of starting over in a new country